Friday, December 13, 2013

Surround Yourself with the People You Love

Now, a lot of what I talk about in my blog may seem like advice that you may think is not going to help your anxiety. However, these are things that I have learned a long the way and things that may seem so simple and easy, but work like a charm.

Surround yourself with the people you love and want to spend time with. I know that if I am feeling a bit down and I go hang out with my younger sister I am going to feel ten times better. She has so much energy and this love for life that spills onto anyone she talks to. It reminds me of myself when I was younger and her age. Listening and watching her walk to the beat of her drums is amazing and instantly makes me feel happier. I tend to forget about my problems and start to focus on the present, which is talking and being with her and my bad mood is gone. I am so engrossed in something I love doing that I am no longer aware of my problems.

You may find that you can find that kind of relief doing something you love such as, baking, walking, playing your favorite sport and so on and so forth, but I would still encourage that you go out and hang out with someone you love. It is a whole different experience to go out and have fun with someone you love and you just have to trust me on that. When you are doing something alone you will engross yourself in something and be stress free for a moment or two, but you will miss out on the great conversations and laughs you could be having with someone else. I find relief in making things for others and that can be making cookies or decorating something for someone. However, while I am doing those activities I am alone with my thoughts. Even though, I am having fun doing what I love I am not as engrossed in the present as I would be if I were with someone else. Therefore, go out, make plans and surround yourself with someone you love. Someone that uplifts you.

Now you may think to yourself that you are too busy or that the other person may be too busy and so you don't do anything. You don't make plans and don't go forward with hanging out. If they don't have time today, they will have time tomorrow or on a later day. The point is for you to go out and have fun. It can be at a later date or today, but make that call or write that message and send it.

If you live with your family, friends or roommates. Try to get out of your comfort zone or your room and hang out with them if you don't already do so. Talking to people and being around others is a relief in itself. If you enclose yourself in a room or are alone all the time you will only be left with your thoughts. Being with others, listening to them, hanging out with people will allow you to feel happier and much more uplifted. However, try to stay away from people that bring negativity into your life. You don't need negativity in your life and to be honest it is better to be alone than to be with people who can only bring you down.

Lastly, talk to someone about your anxiety. Find someone you are close to and talk to them about how you are feeling. When thoughts are left in your mind and you do not share them they seem so much scarier than they actually are. When you talk about them with someone they seem not so scary after all. When I went to my psychologist I would have so much to tell her and when I would start telling her things that made or broke my life I would realize how minor they were. I would find that those thoughts that had been bothering me for a whole week and made me so scared were very silly. Therefore, talking to someone is essential. Anxiety is not something YOU can alone get yourself out of. You need the help and support of others. Having someone you can confide in will make things that much easier for you and will take away a lot of the fear so find someone you can talk to and talk to them. You will experience relief right away. Try finding someone you can go to at any time. Because I live with my parents, I chose my mom. Whenever, I felt scared or fearful I would go to my mom. If it was 3:00 in the morning and I was scared I woke her up. I would have her come to my room and stay with me until I fell asleep or talked to her until I felt better. Being a little selfish at this point is not bad! Try finding someone you can go to for help and you will feel a lot less scared. It work!

I hope this has helped you and I will talk to you in the next blog.

-Abigail Monroe

No comments:

Post a Comment